What's new

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Add a verification system to the Discord

StentorianYT

Diamond
StentorianYT
StentorianYT
Diamond
So I have been recieving a load of DM advertisements from members of the Skycade Discord and it appears that others are experiencing the same message just with different accounts (alts) and it's really starting to annoy me. Therefore I am proposing the addition of Server Captcha Bot. It's a pretty familiar bot when it comes to Discord Verification and it sends a verification code that looks like this and the user has to reply (as per the screenshot) in the bot's DM's. The DiscordBots.org page for it is https://discordbots.org/bot/captcha. It's easy to setup and is really helpful in preventing alts joining the server and spamming user's DM's. It also prevents raids to the Discord as well. Hope this gets added! :)

EDIT: If a verification system that involves an image isn't a good idea for people with eye site difficulties then maybe a system for linking your Discord account to your forum account and only allowing one Discord account per forum account which will reduce spam users a lot.

Last edited:

Materializing

rand since 18/12/17 - Laike#0901
Diamond
Gold
Materializing
Materializing
Diamond
The problem with this suggestion is that it won’t stop much. DM Advertisers can be just real people and not bots, and once they verify they’ll continue to advertise.

As well as this, it would be a ton of effort to set it up so the person couldn’t message anyone in that server until they responded, for something that isn’t bannable, just annoying.

Since I doubt this will be added, I can suggest something to you to stop this. Instead of allowing all DMs, you can change your settings so that only people you’ve added as friends can DM you. This will stop any DM advertisers from being able to message you just by sharing a server with you.

If you need any help finding the setting, lmk, but for this suggestion I’m gonna say -1 from me. Sorry!

OfficiallyCelled

"Don't Forget The Dishes" - Mum, Everyday.
Diamond
ThatOneCelled
ThatOneCelled
Diamond
Hello!

Here is my opinions on this idea;

Love the idea of something like this but like Materializing said "DM Advertisers can be just real people and not bots", he is right and this could be an issue. If you're also a person like me who struggles with their vision, I personally struggle with Captcha Verificaitons like that so it would be annoying for new-comers.

StentorianYT

Diamond
StentorianYT
StentorianYT
Diamond
The problem with this suggestion is that it won’t stop much. DM Advertisers can be just real people and not bots, and once they verify they’ll continue to advertise.

As well as this, it would be a ton of effort for something that isn’t bannable, just annoying.

Since I doubt this will be added, I can suggest something to you to stop this. Instead of allowing all DMs, you can change your settings so that only people you’ve added as friends can DM you. This will stop any DM advertisers from being able to message you just by sharing a server with you.

If you need any help finding the setting, lmk, but for this suggestion I’m gonna say -1 from me. Sorry!
I am aware of this setting in Discord but the only thing is that I do freelancing so I need my DMs open so I can communicate with clients that are inquiring about my work. I also do Discord bot development and I need my bots to be able to send me a DM whenever an issue arises or I have added a feature that uses DMs. If you look at my recent post in Report a Player and these posts then you can see that although the message is the same, the users a different and this is likely to be a bot sending the messages using randomly generated accounts. https://skycade.net/threads/advertising.29595/ https://skycade.net/threads/ads.29594/ https://skycade.net/threads/server-promoting-in-dms.29596/

However I do appreciate the feedback and I do take it into mind. :)

StentorianYT

Diamond
StentorianYT
StentorianYT
Diamond
Hello!

Here is my opinions on this idea;

Love the idea of something like this but like Materializing said "DM Advertisers can be just real people and not bots", he is right and this could be an issue. If you're also a person like me who struggles with their vision, I personally struggle with Captcha Verificaitons like that so it would be annoying for new-comers.
I do agree with what the person said but also most of the time they are bots and they are extremely irritating. If you reference to my reply I put to the person above I state that although a message that was sent to 4 users was the same, the user sending it was different each time hinting at a possible bot being responsible.

There are other methods of verification available on Discord Bots such as a system where you link it with your forum account (I just thought of that....) or a message in a channel where you react to the message with a certain emote instead of a normal verification which will be better for people that experience eye site difficulties like you.

However I appreciate the feedback and I have taken it into mind. Thanks :)

PigMatt

Banned lol🥓👌
Diamond
Gold
PigMatt
PigMatt
Diamond
I think the ‘react for a role to speak’ would be okay, but any more then that is extremely annoying and servers I join with it I leave. +1

(EDIT: Have it so only new people can see that channel so we don’t get the DM Ads)

Fancy_Dinners_

Wannabe Lawyer
Iron
DamSoFancy
DamSoFancy
Iron

As well as this, it would be a ton of effort to set it up so the person couldn’t message anyone in that server until they responded, for something that isn’t bannable, just annoying.

They don’t target skycade... they use discord tokens and configure them to go to servers and dm advertise. Once we get a verification system in no one cba to directly dm advertise.

I am aware of this setting in Discord but the only thing is that I do freelancing so I need my DMs open so I can communicate with clients that are inquiring about my work. I also do Discord bot development and I need my bots to be able to send me a DM whenever an issue arises or I have added a feature that uses DMs. If you look at my recent post in Report a Player and these posts then you can see that although the message is the same, the users a different and this is likely to be a bot sending the messages using randomly generated accounts. https://skycade.net/threads/advertising.29595/ https://skycade.net/threads/ads.29594/ https://skycade.net/threads/server-promoting-in-dms.29596/

However I do appreciate the feedback and I do take it into mind. :)
“Greater Good” Take 10 seconds out of your day

erhip

Dolphins are just sea dogs
Staff member
MVP
Diamond
erhip
erhip
I’m too familiar with this bot, how it works or anything about it really however, if the bot sends you a private dm then surely players would have to accept dms from people not on their friends list, which a lot of people do not like and have their privacy settings on (which is a smart and good thing). I also think that if someone is struggling with the Captcha and can’t get it to work they’re permanently locked out of the discord and lot of people don’t actislly play the Minecraft server or web own Minecraft so getting support would be very very hard for them people.

But I do agree the skycade discord could do with something to prevent advertising bots as banning them is a long winded manual tasks, so keep trying to think of solutions \o/