What's new

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

CoreProtect or a Block Logging plugin

ProSl3nderMan

Diamond
ProSl3nderMan
ProSl3nderMan
Emerald
When I first started playing skyblock, I had no fears about other players griefing something of mine if I was to trust them, because hey, surely there's a block logging plugin yeah? And every new player has the expectation of there being a block logging plugin, so then they have a backup plan if their "friend" griefed and stole their spawners or items from chests.

There is no block logging plugin on skyblock
, and I can assume there's not any on the other servers either. Looking at past suggestions, I've noticed that the main reason for not implementing block checking plugins is lag. I do not think lag is a problem if you minimize what all you are logging. And if you delete logs that age 5 days, there will not be a problem with super long logs and trying to get data from blocks/chests when there's thousands of other blocks/chests.

I'd argue that the most popular reason for leaving a server is getting griefed. Sure, most of the player's who are griefed are 9-13 year olds who haven't grasped it yet, but this is a huge amount of the minecraft playerbase. If you have a block logging plugin, you increase the chance that they will stay.

So here's 2 ways to fix this "lag":
1. Don't log all blocks! Log essential blocks, diamonds, gold, iron, chests, spawners, grassblocks, glowstone, sea lanterns, redstone, etc. This helps prevent needlessly logging things that don't matter, for an example: melons (CRAP TON OF MELONS), wheat, oak logs, planks. Also, do not log in the mining world since it doesn't matter, yeah?
2. When a log in the database has reached 5 days old, delete it. You could even do 3 days. If the player is not active every 3 days to notice a griefing, then it's their own fault.

Here's why you should have a block logging plugin:
1. It discourages griefing. Atm, people who know there's no block logging plugin can easily grief without getting caught.
2. It helps those players who's island means the world to them, and loosing those special blocks and being able to get them back increases their chance of staying.
3. Because not having a block logging plugin is taking the lazy way out, lag should never be an excuse for protecting the server from griefing. You can easily fix this lag as seen in the 2 ways above.

If there's something I'm missing about how lag is caused by a block logging plugin, please tell me. I feel I have creative ways to fix problems, and would love to try.

PigMatt

Powered by Bacon 🥓👌
Diamond
Gold
PigMatt
PigMatt
Diamond
Stop suggesting this, it's annoying.
This has been suggested more times then i can count.

It’s causes server lag. It would be helpful but if it lags the server it’s not worth it.

Here is a quote from Steve1Killer you may be interested in reading.
Core Protect is a block logging thing, you can check the changes to a block and can rollback specific areas. However the reason it wasn't added was not the fact there's no money in finding griefers but instead block logging plugins like that lag Skycade, Welsh has said this on every single suggestion for a block logging plugin like Core Protect. The fact it logs every interaction allows you to check the block history from that area and see who's broken and placed things to edit allowing staff to check block history at a "griefed" base to see if it was truly griefed, by who, and when. Servers like Performium ran by Doni uses it on some of there gamemodes as shown in some of RGA's videos.
Can you take 10 seconds to look if this has been suggested before next time, thanks. -1

ProSl3nderMan

Diamond
ProSl3nderMan
ProSl3nderMan
Emerald
Stop suggesting this, it's annoying.
This has been suggested more times then i can count.

It’s causes server lag. It would be helpful but if it lags the server it’s not worth it.

Here is a quote from Steve1Killer you may be interested in reading.

Can you take 10 seconds to look if this has been suggested before next time, thanks. -1
It seems like you didn't read my suggestion at all, which makes me feel as if you are just agreeing with all past results of this suggestion without giving it any thought.

If you had read my post fully and not just scim over it for "10 seconds," you would had seen I provided solutions to the lag, as well as acknowledging already that there are past suggestions for this. I even gave the reason for why past suggestions were not accepted.

Lag is either fixable or minimizable. A word I like to use in cyber security is mitigating the risk/lag, essentially meaning minimizing the impact of lag, or even how severe the lag is.

Now, I will respond to the quote you use and explain why using it shows you didn't read my post. "The fact it logs every interaction allows you to check the block history from that area..." (Steve1Killer) It logging every block and interaction will cause lag, in my post I gave the reasoning of not logging every interaction, and log only valuable items like spawners, diamond blocks, gold blocks, etc. Essentially, melons on skyblock are mined a lot, same goes for cobble and loads of other items/blocks. If you were to remove these from the picture, the lag will be either not noticeable or barely noticeable.

Please read my post fully and give thought to mitigating the lag. If you disagree that my ways will not mitigate lag, lets discuss that. I'm past the discussion of "this is a duplication" and "it will cause lag." Join in on the conversation on how to fix this lag instead of using it as an excuse to be lazy, thanks.

PigMatt

Powered by Bacon 🥓👌
Diamond
Gold
PigMatt
PigMatt
Diamond
It seems like you didn't read my suggestion at all, which makes me feel as if you are just agreeing with all past results of this suggestion without giving it any thought.

If you had read my post fully and not just scim over it for "10 seconds," you would had seen I provided solutions to the lag, as well as acknowledging already that there are past suggestions for this. I even gave the reason for why past suggestions were not accepted.

Lag is either fixable or minimizable. A word I like to use in cyber security is mitigating the risk/lag, essentially meaning minimizing the impact of lag, or even how severe the lag is.

Now, I will respond to the quote you use and explain why using it shows you didn't read my post. "The fact it logs every interaction allows you to check the block history from that area..." (Steve1Killer) It logging every block and interaction will cause lag, in my post I gave the reasoning of not logging every interaction, and log only valuable items like spawners, diamond blocks, gold blocks, etc. Essentially, melons on skyblock are mined a lot, same goes for cobble and loads of other items/blocks. If you were to remove these from the picture, the lag will be either not noticeable or barely noticeable.

Please read my post fully and give thought to mitigating the lag. If you disagree that my ways will not mitigate lag, lets discuss that. I'm past the discussion of "this is a duplication" and "it will cause lag." Join in on the conversation on how to fix this lag instead of using it as an excuse to be lazy, thanks.
Another point, i don't think they should tell us. If someone doesn't want to grief just because they don't want to be banned, i don't want them on the server. Anyways, im unwatching this thread and not coming back to it.

ProSl3nderMan

Diamond
ProSl3nderMan
ProSl3nderMan
Emerald
Another point, i don't think they should tell us. If someone doesn't want to grief just because they don't want to be banned, i don't want them on the server. Anyways, im unwatching this thread and not coming back to it.
Not sure what the point is directed to or what "they should[n't] tell us," or why you are making the statement that if they don't grief just because they don't wanna be banned, you don't want them on the server.

Perhaps you are trying to say that having a block logging plugin will result in people not griefing who would giref without it in place, and because of that you don't want the block logging plugin because you want them to grief and have a small chance of getting caught and banned? If that's the case, I want to remind you that loosing a player because they were griefed is not great, keeping people who might grief but don't because of the block logging plugin is acceptable because of the reward of keeping that player who might've been griefed without the block logging plugin.

Anyways, sad to see you don't care about this topic as much as I do. Bye guy.

LuqDude

rando helper
Staff member
Helper
LuqDude
LuqDude
Helper
If this actually stops the lag, great. Still would cause some lag, not from it saving the logs into a file, but because for every block that someone breaks or places it now has to check if it should be logging it or not by comparing it to a list. That's where I'd say a bunch of lag comes in, just from it having to do that check so much.

Also, why don't you just not give random people coop or an invite? Those are for people you trust, not just random players. Kinda on you if you just give out coop or invite any random guy without then watching them. Same thing with SMP, just don't trust people you don't know, it's for people you trust.

ProSl3nderMan

Diamond
ProSl3nderMan
ProSl3nderMan
Emerald
If this actually stops the lag, great. Still would cause some lag, not from it saving the logs into a file, but because for every block that someone breaks or places it now has to check if it should be logging it or not by comparing it to a list. That's where I'd say a bunch of lag comes in, just from it having to do that check so much.

Also, why don't you just not give random people coop or an invite? Those are for people you trust, not just random players. Kinda on you if you just give out coop or invite any random guy without then watching them. Same thing with SMP, just don't trust people you don't know, it's for people you trust.
Actually, checking to see if the block is something or checking if it should be logged is not laggy. I am pretty sure it was the fact that where it was being logged to was laggy because the size of the log. Which is why you only want to log important things, and delete logs that are older than 3 days.

And to the second point, the majority of new players are often of young age. And a lot of currently players are of young age. So I would argue that they don't fully understand the consqeuences, or they have a higher expectency for the server thinking it has a block checker but it doesn't.

LuqDude

rando helper
Staff member
Helper
LuqDude
LuqDude
Helper
Actually, checking to see if the block is something or checking if it should be logged is not laggy. I am pretty sure it was the fact that where it was being logged to was laggy because the size of the log. Which is why you only want to log important things, and delete logs that are older than 3 days.

And to the second point, the majority of new players are often of young age. And a lot of currently players are of young age. So I would argue that they don't fully understand the consqeuences, or they have a higher expectency for the server thinking it has a block checker but it doesn't.
Not sure on your point there, I don't know how they work - but at least i think the log should be the easiest bit, but whatever.

Doubt kids would know about a block checker and what they do if they didn't understand that /trust is something you do to people you trust, or that giving someone perms to your island is a bad idea if you don't know them.

It's comparable to doing a trade with someone or if someone you don't know says "tpa for free loot". If they scam/tp trap you, while they did break the rules you should've at least thought of the possibility and if you can really trust the person or not, and not assume "Oh, there's a plugin that staff can use to check our inventories to see if we got the item or not".

ProSl3nderMan

Diamond
ProSl3nderMan
ProSl3nderMan
Emerald
Not sure on your point there, I don't know how they work - but at least i think the log should be the easiest bit, but whatever.

Doubt kids would know about a block checker and what they do if they didn't understand that /trust is something you do to people you trust, or that giving someone perms to your island is a bad idea if you don't know them.

It's comparable to doing a trade with someone or if someone you don't know says "tpa for free loot". If they scam/tp trap you, while they did break the rules you should've at least thought of the possibility and if you can really trust the person or not, and not assume "Oh, there's a plugin that staff can use to check our inventories to see if we got the item or not".
Right, I agree with the fact that if kids don't understand trusting people and the consequences, they probably don't know about a block checker. When I made the statement, I meant to divide the kids not understanding the consequences from knowing about the block checker. Essentially, I was trying to give reason to that it's not only younger kids who are falling victim to griefers, but also older kids who fall victim, who might have the mindset that if someone bad happens, at least there is a backup plan with the block logging plugin.

But I guess that's not the point of this topic, people who understand the consequences. It's about the younger kids who do not fully understand it and get griefed. Sure, the kids are considered stupid, but at least we keep those players instead of loosing them, which is the main goal of having this block logging plugin.

Not to even mention though, that there are some people who are trust worthy out there, but they end up backstabbing you because of an argument or a fight you had. Kids are kids yaknowwhatimsayin?