What's new

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

[Discord suggestion] Debating channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darling

Wxnderlvst
Wxnderlvst
Whilst Skycade is comprised of mainly children, there are some of us who would enjoy a slightly more in-depth conversation.

This doesn’t mean the younger minds can’t join in, I’ve seen people who of all ages make brilliant points and conclusions.

Now all of the current server rules would still apply with the exception of the political rule(obvious topics that are bound to end in negativity can be avoided too) but that would be at staff discretion.

I’m sure some of the members in the server would enjoy this :giggle:

As for moderating the channel, I know staff are spread thin as it is, so I would ask that the current staff appoint #debating channel specific moderators that are separate from the overarching Skycade staff team.

This could be done on a trial bases, i.e. create the channel and see how it performs over a couple of weeks, if it’s more of a headache than a positive then at least we can say we tried, otherwise it’s a new experience for the members.

Many thanks!
Wxnderlvst#0516

Materializing

Helper.exe
Staff member
Helper
Diamond
Gold
Materializing
Materializing
Helper
Personally, I’m never a fan of discord suggestions that require extra staff work//“separate staff”. Channels like this have been suggested before, but I genuinely don’t think it’s a good idea. It could go wrong so quickly, and there would have to be a lot of specifying which topics would be allowed and which ones wouldn’t. I think small group chats or even making a separate discord for debates would be a better alternative for you. Sorry!

Fallen

Lover of WelshAlex
Diamond
Mufscuit
Mufscuit
Diamond
Sounds dumb, just use PMs, join a debate club, or get reddit. Sounds kinda just like you want power in the Skycade discord, as you'd obviously be a fantastic choice for one of these separate from the normal moderator moderation positions.

Artistblock

Artistblock
Artistblock
dm the other person. skycade has too many children and its not worth moderating

Bubble1118

ଘ(੭*ˊᵕˋ)੭* ੈ♡‧₊˚
Diamond
Gold
Bwbble
Bwbble
Diamond
just join ranks chat lmao its easy to debate there

Kaissa

vhyn
vhyn
but i wanna debate but dont wanna buy ranks :(

Argonyte

The Fallen Knight
MVP
Diamond
xVolt_
xVolt_
MVP
Whilst Skycade is comprised of mainly children, there are some of us who would enjoy a slightly more in-depth conversation.

This doesn’t mean the younger minds can’t join in, I’ve seen people who of all ages make brilliant points and conclusions.

Now all of the current server rules would still apply with the exception of the political rule(obvious topics that are bound to end in negativity can be avoided too) but that would be at staff discretion.

I’m sure some of the members in the server would enjoy this :giggle:

As for moderating the channel, I know staff are spread thin as it is, so I would ask that the current staff appoint #debating channel specific moderators that are separate from the overarching Skycade staff team.

This could be done on a trial bases, i.e. create the channel and see how it performs over a couple of weeks, if it’s more of a headache than a positive then at least we can say we tried, otherwise it’s a new experience for the members.

Many thanks!
Wxnderlvst#0516
As much as I would like this, the possibility of this happening is low. People tend to get hostile with each other when their viewpoints don't meet, especially on skycade. You can see a few hostile attitudes in the post already.

Kaissa

vhyn
vhyn
It's because people with opposite views would rather lash out each other rather than trying to understand, (I'm guilty of this sometimes myself) Steven Crowder's Change My Mind is all about this, for anyone interested :)

Darling

Wxnderlvst
Wxnderlvst
Sounds dumb, just use PMs, join a debate club, or get reddit. Sounds kinda just like you want power in the Skycade discord, as you'd obviously be a fantastic choice for one of these separate from the normal moderator moderation positions.
Well actually it was discussed between several members and it sounded like a good idea.

As for your demeaning comment about wanting “power”, the fact you instantly jumped to that firstly says a lot about yourself, specifically, you’ve previously made a moderator application in the past and have been denied, now you’ve got a thorn in your side about it towards everyone and anyone else who you think is trying to receive a staff position/“power”

Either that or you’ve lost some kind of control within your life outwith the server/site, which in that case I am sorry for whatever went wrong there.

Secondly, no I wouldn’t be a fantastic choice nor was I nodding to myself, I’m pretty sure if staff liked the idea they would entrust persons they believed were capable

Like you have your opinion and whilst I may not be childish to attack your opinion negatively, I’m allowed my own, thank you for your input :giggle:

(before you ask how your opinion was negative, directly telling people their idea is dumb or demeaning them is negative)

Last edited:

Darling

Wxnderlvst
Wxnderlvst
dm the other person. skycade has too many children and its not worth moderating
Thank you for your input!

DM’ing could work for sure, the idea was more specifically aimed at bringing the quieter folk out of the woodwork for a more complex conversation vs. random talk and general which is straight up a mess(which I admit I’m apart of ;))

Darling

Wxnderlvst
Wxnderlvst
just join ranks chat lmao its easy to debate there
Okay now that’s constructive and actually makes sense, I guess things move a little slower in there and it’s not as much of a rabble compared to the other channels

Thank you! :giggle:

Darling

Wxnderlvst
Wxnderlvst
but i wanna debate but dont wanna buy ranks :(
Well hey I hear there’s a giveaway coming up soon, you never know *pew pew*

In all seriousness, that is a fair point, it almost adds a pay wall to access a specific chat area which I really dislike, so much so I’d scrap this idea because of it

Thank you for your input :)

Darling

Wxnderlvst
Wxnderlvst
As much as I would like this, the possibility of this happening is low. People tend to get hostile with each other when their viewpoints don't meet, especially on skycade. You can see a few hostile attitudes in the post already.
Well said, I suppose it’s really down to weighing up the positives and negatives

When I created this post originally, within the discord it actually looked promising, some of the conversations/mini discussions I was having with people worked and were enjoyable but inevitably the jokers would appear and attempt to ruin the fun

Thank you :giggle:

Joostagram

pas méchante et à des sentiments
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Builder
Diamond
Joostagram
Joostagram
Senior Moderator
That would indeed lead to a lot of arguments (not debating arguments), like everybody else said c:

Argonyte

The Fallen Knight
MVP
Diamond
xVolt_
xVolt_
MVP
Well actually it was discussed between several members and it sounded like a good idea.

As for your demeaning comment about wanting “power”, the fact you instantly jumped to that firstly says a lot about yourself, specifically, you’ve previously made a moderator application in the past and have been denied, now you’ve got a thorn in your side about it towards everyone and anyone else who you think is trying to receive a staff position/“power”

Either that or you’ve lost some kind of control within your life outwith the server/site, which in that case I am sorry for whatever went wrong there.

Secondly, no I wouldn’t be a fantastic choice nor was I nodding to myself, I’m pretty sure if staff liked the idea they would entrust persons they believed were capable

Like you have your opinion and whilst I may not be childish to attack your opinion negatively, I’m allowed my own, thank you for your input :giggle:

(before you ask how your opinion was negative, directly telling people their idea is dumb or demeaning them is negative)
You must also provide First Aid to him after that. :ROFLMAO:

Darling

Wxnderlvst
Wxnderlvst
That would indeed lead to a lot of arguments (not debating arguments), like everybody else said c:
Thank you for saying what everyone else said! :)

The idea has promise in my head but I guess it didn’t really logically translate to how much of a disaster it could be

Darling

Wxnderlvst
Wxnderlvst
You must also provide First Aid to him after that. :ROFLMAO:
Ack I think they had the right intentions originally, just accompanied it with the wrong bedside manner

It’s a flesh wound, they’ll get over it :)

nursey_

I was Nursey__ then I lost a _
Staff member
Helper
MVP
Diamond
Gold
Nursey_
Nursey_
Helper
I like the idea of debating, however due to the age range of players I think it would quickly descend into arguments and get a bit too heated. The idea of having specific staff as well is a bit hmm. There are lots of servers out there though that do debates.

I just think because of the age range, and more so the sensitivity of topics that typically come up when debating it wouldn't work on Skycade. I think it would also be pretty hard to moderate as some of the counter arguments to even non heated topics can lead to sometime inappropriate replies, which may be appropriate to the topic in hand, but not for a MC server, which would then void the argument.

TD:LR, I love the idea of debates, just not going to work on a MC dedicated server :/ Hope you find some good debate discords though.

Darling

Wxnderlvst
Wxnderlvst
I like the idea of debating, however due to the age range of players I think it would quickly descend into arguments and get a bit too heated. The idea of having specific staff as well is a bit hmm. There are lots of servers out there though that do debates.

I just think because of the age range, and more so the sensitivity of topics that typically come up when debating it wouldn't work on Skycade. I think it would also be pretty hard to moderate as some of the counter arguments to even non heated topics can lead to sometime inappropriate replies, which may be appropriate to the topic in hand, but not for a MC server, which would then void the argument.

TD:LR, I love the idea of debates, just not going to work on a MC dedicated server :/ Hope you find some good debate discords though.
I agree,

I’m now seeing while it was a decent idea in theory, in practice a bunch of people are going to get upset, offended or turn outright nasty

Thank you for your input :)

If any site staff see this, feel free to lock the post to prevent spam, the suggestion is dead in the water.

J0NBE4R

Bear Mod
Staff member
J0NBE4R
J0NBE4R
Locked upon request. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.