HugoDoesStuff

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Builder
Diamond
HugoDoesStuff
HugoDoesStuff
Builder
Hey there!
Welcome to January 2020’s issue of my ongoing study of Skycade’s player-count.
In this thread, we will be discussing the following:

- Player-count data in January
- At what time Skycade is the most/least popular (across time zones)
- Is Skycade dying

-
I - Player-count in January
Here’s the chart...
(Started Jan 7th)

The broken parts in the chart means that there was no data available at that time. Most of the time it’s due to either the bot script bugging or the client lagging. Actively working on a solution.
This month, we observed...
- A peak of 455 players at 8PM on Jan 12th
- One major downtime of 4 hrs from 4AM to 8AM on Jan 22nd
- A low of around ~80 players at 8AM on Jan 22nd
- Around 320 players online during Chinese New Year
- An interesting pattern.

-
II - Popularity
When we look at the chart, we can notably observe an interesting popularity pattern.
On average, Tuesdays and Wednesdays are the least popular days, while Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays are the most popular.

You can likely expect a low of less that 150 players around 0-4 AM in the morning, and a high of 275+ players between 12PM - 5PM.
-
III - Is Skycade dying?
Rumors say that skycade’s community is decreasing. Right now, it’s a bit too early to answer the “is Skycade’s Minecraft playerbase growing or declining” question, with a vague one month of study. We’ll have to wait another 1-3 months before properly answering this question.

That’s it for now. I will try gathering more data to answer more questions such as how many bans/hour, how many new players per month, (etc) For next month’s issue.
Thank you for reading!

FAQ
It’s pretty simple actually. An automated python script reads data from a console MC client and logs it into a Google spreadsheet every hour of every day. I then plot all the acquired data into a line chart.
Understanding Skycade’s player-count can help us answer many useful questions such as “at what time is skycade the most/least popular” (for example a discrete faction raid or a planned event) or “is skycade dying”.

Next issue on Feb 29th.

MrAJYT

me like jonbear <3
Diamond
Gold
Iron
HarryTheSimp
HarryTheSimp
Diamond
Hugo, you could spend this time making quality content!

MrAJYT

me like jonbear <3
Diamond
Gold
Iron
HarryTheSimp
HarryTheSimp
Diamond
Hugo, you could spend this time making quality content!
We need Skycade memes conte t! Also where did the philosophy of welshalex go

Griefendor

hippity hoppity your memes are my property
Diamond
LutherKlaus
LutherKlaus
Diamond
We need Skycade memes conte t! Also where did the philosophy of welshalex go
i get the feeling you're trying to post farm...

also, thanks hugo! this is really informative and is a great insight into the skycade community

doomkonb

Hated And Smoothed are my adoption parents.
Diamond
Gold
doomkonb
doomkonb
Diamond
It would have been more noticeable if you looked at this data from an earlier time. There was a definite large decrease in popularity from then to now as the server decreased with many players leaving, I'm not sure how noticeable it will be now, seeing as most of the player base now doesn't understand or is newish to the server.
Still, nice idea

doomkonb

Hated And Smoothed are my adoption parents.
Diamond
Gold
doomkonb
doomkonb
Diamond

PigMatt

Rarely active lol
Diamond
Gold
PigMatt
PigMatt
Diamond
Extremely interesting! Nice work, Hugo!

TessieBearr

epic gamer
Diamond
Gold
Iron
TessieBear
TessieBear
Diamond
What time zone is this in? might be a good something to add o.o

TrySimple

Diamond
Iron
TrySimple
TrySimple
Diamond
Ty Hugo very cool, I would like to know what timezone as stated by Tessie

HugoDoesStuff

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Builder
Diamond
HugoDoesStuff
HugoDoesStuff
Builder
It would have been more noticeable if you looked at this data from an earlier time. There was a definite large decrease in popularity from then to now as the server decreased with many players leaving, I'm not sure how noticeable it will be now, seeing as most of the player base now doesn't understand or is newish to the server.
Still, nice idea
You do have a point. Skycade really isn’t the same as it was some years ago, and would’ve been more useful if I thought about doing it earlier. Though I think that with enough data, we’ll be able to calculate the time it’ll reach a low enough number for the network to shut down (if no promotion is done, of course).

What time zone is this in? might be a good something to add o.o
Ty Hugo very cool, I would like to know what timezone as stated by Tessie
It’s a bit hard to see the label on the graph, but all results are adjusted to the GMT+0 timezone (AKA ”UK time”) and will always be by default.
Though I’m planning on listing the times in more time zones like Eastern, etc, in the next release.

So far I’m really happy from everyone’s feedback! I hope this post turns out being informative for some people.
Thank you guys!

HugoDoesStuff

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Builder
Diamond
HugoDoesStuff
HugoDoesStuff
Builder
I’m also looking forward for suggestions if anyone has any. I’ll try my best to work stuff out!

DrewAGB

Iron
DrewAGB
DrewAGB
Iron
Good job putting work into this!

P

pipecek

Do you mean nerds like the candy or nerds like the person who learns alot to have straight A's?

HugoDoesStuff

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Builder
Diamond
HugoDoesStuff
HugoDoesStuff
Builder
Do you mean nerds like the candy or nerds like the person who learns alot to have straight A's?
Referring to smart people interested in data and stuff, of course.

Y’know... the smarties :p
If anyone gets the joke lol

P

pipecek

Referring to smart people interested in data and stuff, of course.

Y’know... the smarties :p
If anyone gets the joke lol
Ye, I was just making a joke.

We are not affiliated with Mojang AB in any way. Minecraft is a copyright of Mojang AB.