What's new

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SkyCade Weekly [Week 13]

SkyCade Weekly

i_love_my_fish
i_love_my_fish
Happy Halloween! Hello and welcome to skycade weekly week 13, our special Halloween edition!

Staff Updates
TheCryptic -> Resigned

KitPVP
KitPVP is resetting meaning all kits, coins and stats will be reset! The reset is November 3rd at 5PM UK time. With the reset there will be some cool new features and a new map. Those features are a killstreak bounty system, a /soup 60 second cooldown, randomly scheduled events!

Forums
ProfessorSlimez has reached 1000 forums posts which means they are the first person to get 1000 posts on these forums, Joostagram got 1000 afew days later. GG!

Staff Interview
This weeks interview is abit special, this week we have developer RickyB98!

β€’ What would you say is your best achievement as a developer? πŸŽƒ
Well, I think my very position at Skycade at the moment is the best achievement as a developer. I started with 0 programming knowledge around 6 years ago, and ended up into a medium-big Minecraft network, and I have been here for 1 year and a half now. I would have never thought that this could actually be something I could do on a regular basis, and get rewarded for it. The management team is a very friendly environment!
β€’ What was the hardest thing for you to do as a developer so far? πŸ‘»
A: Everything is a new challenge, and I end up learning more and more each new project I'm assigned. Even from simple bug fixes, there's always a situation that I've never encountered. I guess the toughest thing is working with packets (people in the field will know what I'm talking about!); that's because the documentation on those methods is very poor and you never know if what you're writing is making any sense, and if it does, you never know if it will work in advance. But I like problem-solving in general, so I'm always up for new, harder stuff to do!
β€’ What is your favourite thing to do as a developer? πŸŽƒ
A: I like making things that connect different parts of the network. Take duels, for example. We run multiple servers to make sure everyone can start a duel whenever they want. The system will handle a) making the request (with a nice GUI); b) the queue; c) the connection to the server; d) the game and PvP mechanics; e) statistics collection. It's basically three plugins running on three different parts of the network, all in sync!
β€’ How much time (on average) do you spend working on skycade a week? πŸ‘»
Generally 10-12 hours a week. My schedule is very strict due to university courses, but I usually find the time slot to allocate to Skycade every day!
β€’ is developer rank and the things the rank does anything like you had expected? πŸŽƒ
Again, I wasn't really "expecting" anything. This whole thing of being a regular developer at a Minecraft server just popped up out of the blue, and luckily it turned out to be great! And I mean, I was given console access to everything...
β€’ Do you and the other developers work well together? πŸ‘»
Absolutely. I love team work, Josh and Jake (the other two developers, you should interview them as well!) really know their stuff. I'm always open to criticism and listen to their suggestions on different solutions that could work better than the solution I had thought.

β€”β€”β€”
Thanks for reading, before we end off we are going to leave you a picture that will leave you nightmares; bcof selfie v2

Last edited:

Nosuchthingj

Justnaa
Justnaa
this thread was radical!

Spere

:3
Diamond
ChadLadAlex
ChadLadAlex
Diamond
WOW SUPER RAD DUDES

ProfessorSlimez

A d M i N
Staff member
Administrator
Diamond
ProfessorSlimez
ProfessorSlimez
Admininistrator
*sigh* I swear bcofs selfies are everywhere xD

Also lovely interview with Ricky

doomkonb

Hated And Smoothed are my adoption parents.
Diamond
Gold
doomkonb
doomkonb
Diamond
Please delete this
C:

Bcof

Save the Amazon Forest
Diamond
Gold
Iron
Bcof
Bcof
Diamond
Amazing selfie at the end, crazy how you are interviewing all of these people!! GG

rk0660

Staff member
Diamond
rk0660
rk0660
Interesting interview :) Was nice to learn more about the "behind-the-scenes" people.

ShepardSheep

The Sheep Goddess (yummies wife)
Diamond
ShepardSheep
ShepardSheep
Diamond
Love the thread guys. keep em coming!

Mist

Resigned Mod Factions #1 - Ill miss bein yalls #1
Iron
_Mistz
_Mistz
Helper
Great Interview Im glad that the developers continue to work on new things for the server!

FredricksonMC

Nerd
Diamond
Iron
Fredo__
Fredo__
Diamond
Great thread again!
I really look forward to these evry week!

TheFoodie

sadz ;(
Emerald
Diamond
Food1e
Food1e
Emerald
Another great interview. I like the mixing it up with devs rather than just reg staff.(The Bcof selfies shall take over!!)

Rosemary

Ghost Rosemary Plant <3
MVP
Diamond
GhostlySage
GhostlySage
MVP
The selfie... uwu
Lovely post :) Ty skycade weekly <3

Nic

It really do be like that sometimes
Staff member
Diamond
Nicilback
Nicilback
Can we stop the Bcof selfies please.

Nic

It really do be like that sometimes
Staff member
Diamond
Nicilback
Nicilback

Hairball

xlSparrow
xlSparrow
My poor eyes. I can't unsee that terrifying thing. My sleep is ruined

BenvdWest

Cxxl
Cxxl
*Stays up late at night* *Whispering I have seen things, bad bad things...*

Steve1Killer

Gone
Diamond
Gold
AllHallowsSteve
AllHallowsSteve
Diamond
From Steve the member: The selfie is fitting for the Halloween edition as that will haunt you. Nice thread, sorry I couldn't assist in the editing, got way to busy with school, tech support, and Halloween to write it. Great interview with Ricky, more interviews with the higher ups and behind the scene staff team as that's something I enjoy seeing!

From Steve the Skycade Weekly Editor: Thanks for all the support on these threads!!! We love to see this amazing support along with suggestions on things we could add or change. Keep em comin! (Also all credit for this weeks thread goes to @PigMatt, I was unable to edit or right this weeks thread.

From Steve overall: Great thread! (P.S: Thanks to my bro for lending me his PC (On the terms I play some Fortnite with him *barf* xD)

DellCurry

FamousKB
FamousKB
Lovely newspaper. It was very interesting listening to Ricky and things about him.

nocookies4me

Cookie Cop
Staff member
Administrator
nocookies4me
nocookies4me
Admininistrator
I <3 Ricky